Monday, September 3, 2007

under pressure

My hypothesis is that manufacturers are constantly trying to figure out what we don't have and then get us to buy it. In the past two or three years, I have begun to hear my friends talking about a few gadgets of old - pressure cookers and slow cookers. Today is the day I'm going to buy a pressure cooker. It drastically speeds up cooking time for things like beans, potatoes, other vegetables. It even works for meat, if you're into that sort of thing. ;)
The pressure cooker is essentially a physics experiment in action - if you ever wanted to prove Boyle's Law, here it is. Temperatures increase with increased pressure, volumes decrease. In the pressure cooker, as pressure increases, the liquid inside wil boil at a higher temperature thereby reducing cooking time to a few minutes for vegetables.

The pressure cooker also uses less energy to cook most foods (one point for green), is apparently more hygienic, and better retains the nutrients of your veggies - another plus. I'm not sure yet what my first meal in the pressure cooker will be, but rest assured, you'll be one of the first to know.

*healthy foodie*

No comments: