Tuesday, October 16, 2007

a bushel of apples

I went apple picking this weekend. Autumn is finally here, the leaves are changing and the temperatures are cooling and picking apples just seemed like it was the appropriate thing to do. Ok, who am I kidding... I've never gone apple picking, I never thought I would like apple picking, and most days I'd rather be doing something that seems a little more active than that. In the end, I really did have a great time. I can not even begin to explain how different and wonderful these apples taste right off the tree, as compared to in the supermarket. The entire ride home, I couldn't stop daydreaming about what I was going to make with these apples. An apple bread I remember from my childhood, an apple pie maybe, apple tartlets, caramel apples, mmmm.... and with each recipe idea, I thought about all those calories planting themselves right on my ass. And so, I decided some savory recipes might be a better idea. Here's what I came up with:
Cabbage Apple Slaw Recipe
1-16 oz package of tri-color ready slaw cabbage mix (or chop up a head of cabbage)
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 tart apple (I used a Winesap apple with the skin on, you can take the skin off if it doesn't appeal to you), chopped
1 english cucumber, chopped
3 tbsp. dijon nayonaise (it's a soy based low fat mayo alternative)
2 tbsp. spicy mustard of your choice
juice from 1 large lemon
salt and pepper to taste

Mix it all up, chill for about an hour, enjoy.

*k*

No comments: