Monday, August 11, 2008

a long hiatus and chipotle salsa

and a much needed return... I can't promise blogging with the same vigor as my original entry into the blogging world, but I can try.

I whipped up some salsa for a bbq over the weekend. I didn't think much of it, except that I wanted to do something fun and I didn't want to show up empty handed. It was a big hit, so I'll post it here.

Chipotle Salsa
1/2 of 7 oz can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (about 3 peppers + some sauce)
1 can of low (or no) sodium diced tomatoes, drained
1/3 vidalia onion
1 jalepeno pepper

- in a food processor, puree the chipotles and the can of tomatoes
- roughly chop the onion and the jalepeno and put in food processor and pulse 3 to 4 times
- chill for 2 hrs and up to 2 days

Of course, salsa is always more fun if you have sometime to dip in it. I had some flour tortillas and thought it would be a good accutrement to the salsa.

Baked Chili Tortilla
Flour tortillas, cut into wedges
olive oil
chili powder
coarse sea salt (optional)

Set oven to broil. Arrange the wedges on a cookie sheet and brush each with a bit of olive oil. Sprinkle with chili powder and sea salt and broil for about 2 minutes or until crisp and golden(keep a watch on them so they don't burn!). Once the first side is browned, flip the wedges over and repeat on the second side. Cool completely and serve with the salsa.

enjoy!

*k*

No comments: