Friday, July 6, 2007

restaurant crawl

It sounds funny, a "restaurant crawl" but that's exactly what it was. Ok, so you have heard of a bar crawl, right? You walk from bar to bar having a drink or two at each and by the end you're hammered. Well this is similar, except you go from restaurant to restaurant trying wine and food and by the end you're stuffed and hammered. It was Rob's brainchild the other night when we were tooling around Hoboken. Of course, if it had wine and food in the description I immediately accepted. Here's how it went....

Around 7 o'clock on Saturday, we decided it would be a good idea to go out for dinner but we weren't quite sure where. We start heading out the door and I let him know I'm just going to move my car to a legal parking spot. We hop in the car and before I know it, we have decided to go uptown to 14th Street since we *never* go out up there.

We start out at City Bistro (if it had a website, I would have linked it here). City Bistro has a very nice atmosphere; however, I don't go there much because the crowd is a little snooty for my laid back pace. They have a wall of doors that opens up to the street, and on the day that we went, there was a very nice breeze throughout the bar area. There are three levels, with a bar on each and the top floor is a roof deck. I'm tempted to describe it as "casually upscale" if you know what I mean. We had a lobster spring roll and I had the house Savignon Blanc wine from a winery called Nimbus Estate. The lobster spring roll was very good, but I felt like there were too many flavors going on. Along with it being fried, it could have been crab and I'm not sure I would know the difference. But it was good and it came with a mango chutney (for anyone who knows me, if it has mango in it, I usually love it). The wine was fabulous!!! It was extremely crisp, and had a grapefruit bouquet with a very light feel. Perfect for a warm day.

Thank you City Bistro for having such an awesome house wine :)

The restaurant crawl will be continued...

*k*

No comments: