Tuesday, July 31, 2007

that's hot

ever hear of bhut jolokia? I didn't either, until I read the news today. Apparently, it's the new hottest chili as defined by the Guiness Book of World Records. I'm a bit surprised by this. Are they are just finding this out now, it's 2007 after all. Haven't we already found all of the chili peppers that exist in our world? It's not like these were just developed in a lab somewhere in the middle of nowhere. They have been growing in northeastern India forever. Think about that the next time you order the vindaloo.

The heat of chilies is based on the amount of capsaicin in the chili, measured in Scoville units. Just for comparison, the ghost chili (bhut jolokia) is about 500 times hotter than a jalapeno. That's pretty damn hot! Don't look for it in any of my dishes any time soon, even though I like a little heat, I'm not insane... like some people I know. You know who you are ;)

Expecting to see it in the US soon? Well, maybe not. Even though export of this pepper is growing, just under a ton was exported last year. They are projecting 10 tons in the next year. It makes me wonder... who, except for the people who grew up eating this beast of a pepper can actually endure the taste described as "When you eat it, it's like dying." Hmm, sounds appetizing, doesn't it? For now, I think I'll stick to my tasty little banana peppers (photos coming soon!).

ghost chili

*k*

No comments: