Sunday, June 24, 2007

the extra 15

In the warmer weather, I regularly try and ride my bicycle everywhere. It just helps to keep me moving and stop driving *everywhere*. Like many Sunday mornings, I rode my bicycle to the grocery store. It's not too far, maybe about 2 miles each way. The trip there always seems like it will be a little bit harder than the trip home because there is one fairly long incline for the first quarter of the trip. To start out on the incline without having warmed up is always a challenge.

But today the way home proved to be more difficult. I purchased a week's worth of groceries, which for a single (mostly) vegetarian, consists largely of fruits and veggies that don't fit so neatly into the large backpack that I bring with me. Turned out to be at least 15 lbs. of groceries that I was carrying in my backpack on the ride home. As I was riding, I could definitely feel the extra excertion that I needed to apply in order to get me, the bike and the groceries up the and down the rolling terrain. And it got me thinking to when I was 15 lbs heavier. Is this what it felt like? Feeling a little bit more winded, feeling a little bit more pressure in my legs, I vowed to myself right there that I can't ever let that extra 15 lbs. come back.

So if you're wondering what it's like either to be a little bit heavier or what it might feel like to lose a few, try it. Take a 15 or 20 lb. backpack, wear it around for a little bit and then take it off. It's literally a huge weight removed from your shoulders.

Enjoy healthy, fun food and keep moving

*k*

No comments: