Tuesday, June 19, 2007

zany zucchini

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. That the picture beside might be a little too risque for a blog about health and food. ;) Well, this is what's going on in my garden right now. I'm totally psyched that the zucchini have sprouted some vegetables. There are definitely some things that I'm learning about as the season progresses:

1. Zucchini are prolific producers, two zucchini plants and I already have 8 vegetables on the plant. I can see it now, I'm going to be posting lots and lots of zucchini recipes in the coming weeks. Watch out!

2. Spinach, while it seems nice to have, do not do so well in the mid-season when temperatures are real hot. The leaves burn, and the plant easily bolts. I definitely thought I would have more than one salad from the bunch.

3. Tomatos grow everywhere. I think I saw one coming out of the sidewalk the other day. Four plants turned into 10. Go figure.

4. Hot peppers apparently like to grow one pepper at a time. That doesn't work too well for those of us who like to put heat in everything. I think I need more of these next year.

5. I wish I would have planted more variety. Maybe a few eggplant, or more herbs. I guess there is still thyme, errr, time. (doh! that was a bad pun... I'll end with that) :)

*k*

No comments: