Sunday, June 10, 2007

first figs of the season

they're here!! I have been dreaming about this day since last fall when I woefully went into the supermarket one October afternoon only to find there were no more figs. No more figs until next year the produce man told me. And now they are back - insanely sweet, smooth on the outside, with a chewy flesh home to crunchy seeds, all at the same time... bliss :)

So what is the deal with figs anyway? Well I found this website about California Figs. Apparently there was a fig tree in the Garden of Eden (woah, I didn't know that the garden of eden made it into history books??). Anyhow, it seems that they originated in Egypt and have been part of history since the time of Plato and were / are very popular in Greek and Roman diets. Before long, they were found all over the Mediterranean region. They were brought to San Diego by the Spanish in the late 1750s and planted throughout the missions of California. Unfortunately, figs are not hardy in cold weather. Otherwise, I would consider putting a ficus in my backyard. They are so freaking expensive, it would be nice to have one of those in my yard.

On top of their rich history, figs have lots of health benefits too. They can help to control blood pressure, have cardiovascular benefits, and they are high in dietary fiber to name a few of the benefits. And as if all of that were not enough, they are a taste explosion and extremely versatile, making an appearance in both savory and sweet dishes. I guess I'm a purist when it comes to figs though. My favorite way to enjoy them is to break off the stem and eat.

mmmmm...
Ooey, gooey, rich and chewy inside, Golden flaky, tender caky outside, Wrap the inside in the outside, is it good?
Darn tootin'.
Doing the big fig newton! Here's the tricky part

*k*

No comments: