Sunday, June 17, 2007

new york wineries... nothing to sneeze at

Waking up to head full of allergies, I wasn't sure I was up for the hour and a half ride up to the first of the wineries on our wine tour. Even though I've been to both Napa and Sonoma, some 3,000 miles away, I have never taken the short trip upstate and wasn't sure what to expect in the Shawangunks. We left early, to make our arrival at the first winery at 10 AM. Our goal, to visit 8 in one day. We did it and much to our surprise, we found some very decent wines. My take on this is that if you go to a liquor store, even if it specializes in wine, you're only really going to end up with wines that they bottled thousands or several thousands of cases and then there are so many other wines that never make it to the distributors or to the stores in our area. So, we had a great day, beautiful views, tasty wines and a new found place for a weekend getaway.

No comments: