Monday, June 11, 2007

new twist on saffron rice

Armed with the first figs of the season, I decided to try a new recipe. I'll be eating this one all week (and I'm not complaining about it!). I "borrowed" the recipe from here. But I made a few modifications (as usual...).

Saffron Rice Pilaf Recipe (10 servings)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 vidalia onion, chopped
1 cup long-grain white rice
2 1/2 cups of water
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
4 fresh California figs, chopped
1/4 cup dried currants
1/4 cup coursely chopped walnuts (large pieces)
3-4 few strands saffron
dash course sea salt

In large heavy bottomed pot, heat the olive oil, add onion and saute for about 5 minutes. Add the rice and saute for another 3 to 5 minutes.

Add the water, pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Stir in the figs, currants, saffron, salt, and walnuts.

Reduce heat to low; cover; and simmer until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally, and has absorbed all the liquid, about 20 to 25 minutes (don't peek!).

Fluff the rice and enjoy.
------------------

It was really tasty actually. I liked the way the flavors came together while it was cooking. I made the few changes I did for several reasons. First, I only make one cup of rice at a time. I generally only cook for myself during the week and the one cup of rice yields more than enough for several lunches and dinners. Remember, one serving is about 1/2 cup of rice, cooked (that's the healthy part of the foodie talking now...). I didn't have any allspice, so I substituted nutmeg. But nutmeg is somewhat potent, so just a pinch will do. As for the walnuts, they have more antioxidents and will provide the Omega-3 fatty acids that pine nuts don't have. Just 14 walnut halves will provide the RDA of Omega-3. This is important for those of us who avoid meat. And lastly, I used just plain water because not only did I not have vegetable broth handy, I thought that the broth would take away from some of the other, already rich flavors of the dish. It also generally has a lot of sodium that I can do without at this point.

Now there is one few thing that I would do differently next time. I would use dried figs. Though the original recipe did not distinguish between fresh and dried, I think the dried would have provided more flavor. And also, if you have read my other post on figs, you will remember that I'm a fig purist. :) At some point, I would also try this with dried dates in place of the figs. They have a great flavor and go wonderfully with rice and nut dishes.

enjoy!

*k*

No comments: