Friday, August 17, 2007

a diversion

Every now and then, a diversion is in order. I'll be visiting a friend's house for dinner tomorrow and decided to bring a dessert. I thought of making something healthy, but not everyone likes healthy desserts. I wasn't feeling particularly ambitious, but ended up coming up with something that I thought was pretty interesting. These came out a little more cakey than I had planned, so I am certain that I'll be revisiting this recipe. Here it is, feel free to tweak it.

Cake Mix Blondies Recipe
1 box yellow cake mix
1 egg
2 containers of snack-pak butterscotch pudding
1 c. chopped walnuts + 1/2 c. reserve
1/2 c. raisins
3/4 c. unsweetened coconut

Pre-heat oven to 325. Mix all ingredients, except 1/2 c. walnuts (keep that for later) into a large bowl and using a spatula, fold the mix together. It will be very stiff. Grease an 8-inch brownie pan and press the batter into the pan. Sprinkle 1/2 c. walnuts on the top. Bake for 45-50 mins. or until done.

These came out with a very nice crumbly texture (I was trying for dense blondie texture). Maybe a liquid, instead of the pudding, would work for a denser crumb. I suspect that you could increase the temperature to 350 and cook it a little faster. Ideas for next time.

enjoy!

No comments: