Friday, August 10, 2007

looking for a hit at your next bbq?

I had a bbq the other day and wanted to make something beforehand that would already be prepared when my guests arrived so that I could spend more time with my guests and less time over the hot grill. Rob kindly cooked all of the meat, over the hot grill, in the sweltering heat, so I definitely owe him one. I had something similar at a bbq a few days before, so this is what I made beforehand and it was more than enough for my 6 guests:

Grilled Vegetables Recipe (served cold)
1 large eggplant, sliced into rounds
1 bunch asparagus
1 large vidalia onion (or 2 small), slided into thick slabs
4 portabella mushrooms, cut into thick slices

Marinade
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper

Separate veggies into 2 large baking dishes (try to lay them out flat as much as possible, because you'll want the marinade to cover all of them). Pour the marinade over the veggies and make sure they are completely coated. Chill them for at least 1 hr and up to several hours.

Once the veggies are chilled, preheat the grill to medium / high. Place the veggies on the grill and grill them for a few minutes on each side until they have grill marks and appear to be done but not mushy. You may want to put the onion in a grilling basket to avoid any grill casualties.

Once all of the veggies are done, arrange them on a serving plate (I put all the asparagus together, all the eggplant together, and so on). Chill the veggies on the serving plate at least 1 hr. or until ready to serve.

You'll need to do this early in the day so that everything is done by time your guests arrive.

enjoy!
*k*

No comments: