Saturday, August 25, 2007

the good 'ole jersey shore

I hate to start off with a little bit of a gripe, but this one has been eating at me. Not sure if you remember last weekend at all, but it was a little chilly. Quite chilly, actually, especially for a summer morning. When I woke up on Saturday, it was a brisk 55 degrees. We were scheduled to play a volleyball tournament at Point Pleasant. So, I got myself together and left the house in warm yoga pants and a fleece sweatshirt. I arrive at Point Pleasant at around 8 am, and pull into the parking area at the north end of the boardwalk. The sign said $18, which seemed very steep to me. I think I remember it being more like $10 or $12. So, I politely asked the young man if the prices had gone up. He let me know that depending on the day, the price varies. If it's going to be a nice beach day, the price gets very high and if it's not going to be such a nice day, the price comes down. I guess this is simple economics - supply and demand, set the price point based on the maximizing profits, etc., etc. But, I couldn't help but be annoyed at what seemed to me, to be an exorbitant parking fee.

Of course, I really had no other choice but to pay it. While it was a crisp, clear day, it ended up being a marginal beach day because of how chilly it was. Until 2 pm, it was way to cold to be on the beach without having a sweatshirt. Lucky for me, I was running around in the sand, so I wasn't too cold most of the time. The good news is that the beach is always a great place to hang out in a very relaxed atmosphere, despite the high parking fee, and here are some great pics of the Jersey shore.


*k*

No comments: