Tuesday, August 21, 2007

save your leftovers for tomorrow's lunch

I don't always list the number of servings that a recipe makes and I realize that it can be hard to determine how much to actually make whether you are cooking for 1, 2 or a family of 4. I sometimes forget most people probably are not cooking for 1. In that regard, I will be more diligent in posting the approximate number of servings.

I find that if I can remember to maintain an appropriate portion size, I do much better in maintaining a lifestyle in which I do not overindulge. Since I generally cook for one (unless I have commandeered Rob's kitchen to cook a weekend dinner), I need to do a little bit of planning so that I don't end up wasting a lot of food. I think about what kind of week I have coming up - will I be able to bring my lunch to work each day or do I have meetings out of the office? am I going to feel like eating this for dinner for the next 3-days? etc. If I find that I'll need a few planned meals during the week, I'll plan to cook up one big meal that I can eat for a few days.

As I am putting it together, I'm secretly keeping track of approximately how many portions I am making. For example, if I start with a cup of rice, I know immediately that I have at least 4 servings. Add in another several cups of vegetables and I'm up to 6 servings, etc. Before I take the portion I'm going to eat for dinner, I break out each serving and put it in reusable containers. Then, I usually put it in the fridge so that I can easily grab one in the morning before work. Sometimes, if I think it will spoil before I get a chance to eat all the portions, I'll put a couple in the freezer. I try to avoid the freezer though, because many times I conveniently forget that it's in there and cook up yet another big meal (it's been known to happen, sometimes I get carried away).

I find this to be a good way for me to measure out what I'm doing for food and I don't really have to calorie count too much. Now, if you have a big family or want more leftovers, just scale the recipes up to suit your needs. Conversely, if you don't want to eat the same dinner for three nights, feel free to scale it down. If you think this is way to organized, maybe you're right. But it's not all that difficult and it's only once or twice a week? Besides, I definitely feel better knowing what I'm eating and it's easier to stay on the healthy track.

No comments: